The Rangers prospects lost what looked to be a relatively lopsided battle with the Baby Sabres, dropping the championship game 5-2 last night. Here’s one last bulleted list going through this game, and the tournament in general:
- It is very clear that the Rangers Traverse City roster was top heavy, especially on defense. There was very little in terms of quality after Dylan McIlrath and Tim Erixon. At forward, it was a little less obvious, but the lack of depth definitely hurt the Rangers. Ryan Bourque, Christian Thomas, Jonathan Audy-Marchessault, Carl Hagelin, and Shane McColgan can only do so much.
- Blake Parlett really fell from grace fast, eh? He had a marvelous first game, a mediocre second game, was scratched the third game, and had a miserable finale. He still has holes in his game, and will work on them in the AHL this season.
- Let’s not forget Jyri Niemi was a veteran and played in the AHL prior to this tournament, but was no where to be seen. He has a lot to prove this season if he wants to remain with the Rangers organization long term.
- Tommy Grant is another relatively old guy who left me wondering what he was doing, same with Lee Baldwin.
- Sam Noreau can’t skate, at all. It is painfully obvious that he was getting burned by pretty much every opponent.
- Jason Wilson has a lot to prove now. He left a lot to be desired this tournament.
- As for the non roster invitees, it wouldn’t shock me to see them all let go