- Marc Staal has 2 goals and 9 assists in 20 games this season. Staal had 2 goals and 3 assists in 46 games last year after he returned to the lineup from a concussion.
- Michael St. Croix ranks 9th in the WHL with 83 points (33 goals, 50 assists) in 66 games. Last year, St. Croix finished 8th in the league with 45 goals and 60 assists in 72 games.
- 6 of Carl Hagelin’s 7 goals this season have come while playing with Rick Nash.
- In case you were wondering, Nash’s 12 shots on Thursday were 7 shy of the NHL record held by Ray Bourque in a game against Ron Tugnutt and the Quebec Nordiques in 1991. Bourque scored on his 14th shot of that game. The last Ranger to have 12 shots in a game was Brendan Shanahan against the Islanders in 2008.
- Nash leads the Rangers in points (16), shots on goal (72) and plus/minus (+8).
- Nash has 9 points (3 goals, 6 assists) in his last 6 games.
- The Blueshirts are 10-5-1 with Nash in the lineup this season and 0-3-1 without him.
- Brian Boyle has just 1 shot in his last 5 games after finishing 5th on the team last year with 165.
- Sunday’s game was the first time the Rangers scored multiple power play goals in a game this season.
- Ryan Callahan is 7th in the NHL with 82 hits. Boyle is tied for 10th with 69.
- Dan Girardi is 8th in the NHL with 56 blocked shots.
- Henrik Lundqvist is 8-5-1 with a 1.98 GAA and a .927 SV% over his last 14 games.
- The Rangers are 4-1-1 during games in which Arron Asham and Darroll Powe play together.
- The Rangers have 22 points in 20 games this season, which puts them on pace for 52 points. We projected it would take 53 points to make the playoffs this year. New York’s current pace would put the team on track for 90 points in a full 82-game season. The Blueshirts racked up 109 points last year.
- The Blueshirts had 27 points after 20 games last year.
Status of the Atlantic Division rivals
Penguins: 30 points. Next 5: @Phi, @Tor, vsNYI, vsBos, @Tor
Devils: 25 points. Next 5: vsTB, vsBuf, @Car, vsWpg, vsPhi
Flyers: 23 points. Next 5: @NYR, vsPit, @Bos, vsBuf, @NJ
Islanders: 20 points. Next 5: vsMon, vsNYR, vsWash, @Pit, @TB
Recent ex-Ranger watch
Brandon Prust - 21gp, 3g, 3a, +10. Leads NHL with 81 penalty minutes.
John Mitchell – 18gp, 6g, 4a, +7
Brandon Dubinsky - 15gp, 1g, 7a, 39PIM. Remains out with an injured knee.
Artem Anisimov - 17gp, 6g, 2a, -6. Scored an OT winner for the Blue Jackets on Sunday.
Tim Erixon - 14gp, 0g, 3a. Assisted on Anisimov’s game-winner.
Ruslan Fedotenko – 23gp, 1g, 5a
Wade Redden – 12gp, 2g, 0a
Mike Rupp – 20gp, 1g, 1a, 27PIM. Got in his first fight with the Wild last week and pounded Paul Bissonnette.
Team rankings entering last night’s games
- New York is ranked 23rd in goals per game, 9th in goals against, 26th on the power play and 7th on the penalty kill.
- The Rangers are 8th in the NHL with a faceoff win percentage of 51.6%.
- New York has only scored 13 second period goals this season, second-fewest in the league.
- 7 teams are averaging more shots per game than New York’s 30.2.