I find it funny how as more important news comes, posts like this one gets pushed back to help spread things out a bit. It was initially slated to be posted around 5pm yesterday, but the Del Zotto news came, so it got pushed to now. There’s another post on Betts’ market value that got pushed back as well. But that’s not the point.
Tom Renney, who was fired by the Rangers this year, is a quality guy and definitely will be remembered by Ranger fans for helping to end the better part of a decade of futility. We figured he would get another coaching gig in the NHL, and he did, joining Pat Quinn behind the bench as an associate coach for the Oilers. Good for him. I, as all of you should, wish him the best.
In other news around the league:
- Bobby Holik retired. At least he won’t have many money problems.
- Victor Kozlov and Sergei Federov are headed to the KHL. Federov was probably one of the most fun players to watch while he was on the Wings. It seems a lot of the players “defecting” to the KHL are Russian-born players: Radulov, Kozlov, Federov,
Zherdev (?). I’m not saying anything, but it’s just an observation. Update 11:50pm: Zherdev turned down his KHL offer. More to come.
- Jim Balsille has finally submitted a formal bid to buy the Coyotes. This team needs to get out of Phoenix, it’s obvious no one in the desert cares about hockey (SHOCKER!). Another team in Ontario would be great for the league.
- Mike Keenan was fired. 1994 was his crowning achievement. I believe he is another who has seen this game pass him by. But you know what, he’s a legend in NY.
- Last, and sadly, Clint Smith passed away at 95. Smith was the last surviving member of the 1940 Stanley Cup championship team, and won two Lady-Byng’s during his career.